A 2017 AJN Book of the Year Award winner, Essentials of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: A Communication Approach to Evidence Based Care, 4th Edition,offers the perfect balance of essential nursing interventions and clinical content. It incorporates a reader-friendly style, and an emphasis on therapeutic communication and evidence-based practice. Perfect for shorter psychiatric nursing courses, this streamlined psychiatric text includes need to know information and key DSM-5 content you need to pass your course and prepare for the NCLEX®. A neurobiology of the brain teaching tool provides a visual depiction of how the disorder affects brain function — and what drugs are used to treat it. Additionally, this new edition includes Giddens Concept boxes, Integrative Care boxes, updated clinical disorders chapters, and new use of nursing diagnosis language International Classification for Nursing Practice (ICNP) which smooths your transition into practice, as this is a common language shared with many electronic health record documentation systems
- Neurobiology of the brain feature provides a visual depiction on how the disorder affects brain function and what drugs are used to treat the disorder.
- Applying Evidence Based Practice boxes throughout the clinical chapters pose a question, walk you through the process of gathering evidence-based data from a variety of sources, and present a plan of care based on the evidence.
- Vignettes describing psychiatric patients and their disorders add more practical application to the chapter material.
- DSM-5 diagnostic criteria identify medical diagnostic criteria for most major disorders.
- Applying Critical Judgment introduces clinical situations in psychiatric nursing at the end of all chapters with thought provoking questions that engage critical thinking.
- NEW! Integrative Care boxes address alternative therapies to treat psychiatric illnesses.
- NEW! Giddens Concept boxes at the beginning of each chapter tie to the topics discussed in that chapter.
- UPDATED! Clinical disorders chapters such as Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorders and Somatoform Disorders, and many others reflect the latest evidence-based research and practice.
- NEW! ICNP nursing diagnosis language smooths your transition into practice, as this is a common language shared with many electronic health record documentation systems.
- UPDATED! Cultural Considerations sections include more updated and relevant material, whenever possible in the clinical chapters, and address cultural considerations with various patients and appropriate care.