Every 20 minutes a child is diagnosed with a disease on the autism spectrum–including ADD, learning disabilities, Asperger’s, Autism, and PDD–making it today’s most common childhood disability. While the medical establishment treats autism as a psychiatric condition and prescribes behaviorally based therapies, Dr. Julie A. Buckley argues that it is a physiological disease that must be medically treated.
Part personal story of her battle to heal her autistic daughter, part guide for parents, Healing Our Autistic Children explains simply and accessibly the new treatments and diets that have already proven effective for many families. Told through the case studies of her patients, the book is divided into four typical visits to Dr. Buckley’s pediatric practice so that parents can see the progression of initial treatment. Written in a warmly engaging voice, parents new to the diagnosis will:
– learn about clinical treatments that work
– understand how different foods affect the body and how to begin implementing diets
– learn to navigate the medical system and advocate for their child
– bridge the communication gap with their pediatrician
– discover that recovery is possible